Sunday, October 24, 2010

Flakey Pie Crust

1 cup Flour
1/4 cup Shortening
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Powdered Sugar
2 tbsp Butter (cold)(cubed)
glass of ice cold water

I make my pie crusts in the food processor. Its quick and I get uniform crusts every time.

Place all ingredients except for water into the food processor. Pulse several times until the butter and shortening are cut into the flour and the mixture looks gritty. Then turn the food processor on and add the ice cold water one tablespoon at a time until all of the dough forms one ball in the processor. Remove the dough and transfer to a flour board to roll out.

I always find it better to add a little too much water than not enough. The more water just means the stickier the dough which means more flour when rolling out. Too little water means the dough falls apart on the flour board and you have to place back into processor and restart from the pulsing step.

Once the dough is placed into the pie dish I refrigerate the crust while i'm making the filling.

If the pie requires a top crust I take and egg white and tbsp of water and beat until frothy. Then I brush that on the rim of the bottom crust before I place the top crust on. This will act as a glue for the top and bottom crusts. Once the top crust is in the arrangement I intended I trim the excess from around the pie dish and flute the edges. Then brush the top crust with the egg white mixture just before placing in the oven. This gives the top crust a golden gleam.

If you require a baked crust place crust in pie dish and prick holes in bottom and sides of crust with a fork. Bake at 350 degrees for 9 to 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely before adding filling.

No comments: